Root Canal Therapy – Newton, MA
Choose Saving Your Tooth Over Extraction
Does drinking iced tea or hot coffee have you agonizing in pain? Maybe one of your teeth has simply been hurting constantly for a while now. In either case, it would seem you are dealing with an infection inside the dental pulp – the bundle of nerve endings located at the center of your tooth. Since this area is so sensitive, it can cause discomfort to the degree that it interferes with your daily life. Hope is not lost, however, because here at Newton Corner Dental Care we want you to choose saving your tooth over extraction to give you a reason to smile once again. Contact us so our dentists can get you back on track with root canal therapy in Newton!
Do I Need Root Canal Therapy?
The most common indication of the need for a root canal is a severe, persistent toothache. However, that is certainly not the only symptom to look for. Other signs you might need a root canal include:
- Extreme, prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold foods or beverages
- Sharp pain when biting down
- Dark discoloration of a tooth
- Swelling or redness of the gums surrounding a tooth
- A pimple-like bump on the gums near a tooth
As soon as you notice any of these symptoms, contact our team. We’ll get you in for an appointment ASAP.
The Root Canal Process
The term “root canal” gets a bad rap, but this procedure is actually painless. In fact, by removing the infected nerve of the tooth, a root canal is designed to relieve pain. Plus, your emergency dentist in Newton will numb your mouth with a local anesthetic beforehand so you will remain comfortable throughout the process.
We will begin by using special instruments to access the inner chambers of the tooth and remove the pulp that’s triggering your pain. After sanitizing the area, we’ll refill it with a synthetic gutta-percha material to retain the tooth’s shape. The next step is to seal and protect the tooth by placing a temporary dental crown. As your mouth heals, the area around the tooth might feel a bit sore and tender.
A few weeks later, we will see you at our dental office. Then, we’ll switch out your temporary crown for a permanent one. At that point, the underlying tooth should be fully protected. You’ll be able to use it as you normally would – bring on that cup of coffee!
The Benefits of Getting a Root Canal
While replacement options like dental implants definitely have their benefits for your smile, preserving your natural tooth should always be the primary goal. If you hesitate to get a root canal when you need one, the infection might progress to the point of no return and your tooth will have to be extracted entirely. Removing and replacing a tooth is a much more complex, time-consuming, and wallet-draining venture than root canal therapy.
In addition to saving your natural tooth, root canal therapy has other benefits:
- Virtually pain-free procedure – Thanks to the advanced dental technology we use, getting a root canal is about as comfortable as the process for an ordinary filling.
- High success rate – The vast majority of root canal patients retain their treated tooth for decades, if not the rest of their lives.
- Aesthetically pleasing results – After your root canal, your tooth will be restored with a custom-made dental crown that seamlessly blends in with the rest of your smile.