A squirrel’s teeth never stop growing which makes them naturally inclined to chew and keeps their choppers honed to a reasonable length. That seems like a lot to have to deal with, but some people face the opposite predicament. They have teeth considered to be too little and wish they would start growing once again. Teeth that develop small or only appear littler than average are the sign of a condition called microdontia. This can affect a single tooth or all of them. Keep reading to learn some reasons adults can have small teeth in Newton and ways your cosmetic dentist can help.
What Are Reasons Some People Have Little Teeth?
There are several categories of microdontia:
- Localized: Affecting one or more teeth, this may only impact the crown or root of the tooth. This is the most common type of microdontia, and it usually affects upper teeth.
- Relative generalized: Teeth may be normal-sized but can appear small compared to a large jaw or gums that extend too far over the teeth.
- True generalized: All your teeth are smaller than average. Usually caused by a condition like pituitary dwarfism.
Sometimes, microdontia can be a symptom of a genetic disorder. Short teeth can also result from excessive teeth grinding. Known as bruxism, this becomes more common as people age.
How Can a Dentist Treat Them?
You may only be thinking about their appearance, but short teeth are potentially more susceptible to wear and tear. Also, they can increase the likelihood of food and bacteria getting trapped after you eat, which elevates your risk of tooth decay. Fortunately, there are several ways your cosmetic dentist in Newton can increase the size of your teeth:
- Dental bonding: A tooth-colored resin is applied to increase the size of teeth. Recommended for only a few teeth, this treatment does not require a lot of preparation and is usually complete in one appointment.
- Dental crowns: A crown can improve the shape and strength of an individual tooth. Having a crown created and placed usually requires two appointments. There are a variety of reasons a dentist might recommend a crown, including cosmetic dental imperfections.
- Porcelain veneers: An option for one to all teeth, veneers cover up the front surface to increase visible size or close gaps. While this will require a thin layer of your enamel to be removed, veneers are a strong, long-lasting option that looks natural and is stain-resistant. The process can often be completed in two appointments.
It is wise to talk with your dentist about your microdontia. If they think it is a result of an underlying health issue, addressing that will take precedence before moving forward with a cosmetic procedure. If that is not the reason, they can discuss cosmetic treatment options and help you choose the best one for your needs!
About the Practice
At Newton Corner Dental Care, you can expect top-tier, efficient customer service in a convenient location for patients from Newton, Brighton, and surrounding areas. We offer interest-free financing for greater affordability. Evening and Saturday appointments are available for your convenience. If you are interested in altering your little teeth, our dentists can check to see that your health is in good standing and then discuss the treatment options referenced above with you. To schedule a consultation, visit our website or call (617) 332-6232.